Nebraska's secondary got a big boost Saturday, when safety D.J. Singleton committed to play football at Nebraska starting in January.
Singleton plans to enroll at Nebraska in January.
Singleton, who initially committed to Wisconsin in the 2012 class, confirmed on Saturday that he committed to Nebraska on a weekend official visit.
"Yeah, I committed," Singleton told 247Sports. "I felt that it was a better fit and especially with the coaches (at Wisconsin) leaving, I felt that it was better for me and my family. I have no hard feelings for Wisconsin. I love the school and the people around it. It's a great place, but I felt Nebraska was a better fit."
The safety committed to Wisconsin last year, but never enrolled as he needed to wrap up academic issues. The New Jersey native officially visited Rutgers earlier in the week and came to Nebraska on Friday where he was able to watch practice. Singleton had received a Nebraska scholarship offer during the 2012 recruiting cycle and was also recruited by secondary coach Terry Joseph when Joseph was coaching at Tennessee.
Singleton said he committed Saturday after speaking with Nebraska head coach Bo Pelini, and plans to enroll at Nebraska in January.
"I felt welcomed when I came here, just how Wisconsin did, but it was better for me because of the situation at Wisconsin and with Rutgers, it's a great program, but I felt that this was a good move for me and my family."
Singleton was a three-star safety recruit out of Jersey City (N.J.) St. Peter’s Prep. The 6-foot-3, 200-pound safety said he was excited to break the news to Pelini.
"He was excited and he said that I would make a great addition to the team and the coaching staff was excited and happy that I'm here," Singleton said.
The commitment gives Nebraska 16 in the 2013 class following the decommitment of cornerback Jonathan Cook to Alabama on Saturday. He joins Nathan Gerry and Marcus McWilson as players likely to play safety in the secondary.
Already have an account? Sign In